The Ministry of Education has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to fast-track investigations into the recent attack on teachers at West Africa Secondary School (WASS), as concerns mount over the safety of educators nationwide.
The Ministry said it expects investigations into the February 13, 2026 incident to be concluded promptly, with those responsible brought to justice to restore calm on campus.
The attack reportedly involved a student who allegedly mobilised a group of thugs to storm the school and assault teachers, sparking public outrage and calls for immediate arrests.
PRETAG Criticises Police Response
The Vice President of the Pre-Tertiary Teachers Association of Ghana (PRETAG), Adokwei Awulley, expressed dissatisfaction with what he described as delays in police action.
“What we are even hearing now on this very one, even when newsmen followed up to the police station, we have not heard anything,” Awulley said. “The teachers were taken to the hospital, but we have not heard of any arrest.”
He compared the situation to a similar case in Kade last year, where students assaulted a teacher who allegedly prevented them from cheating during the WASSCE.
“In the last incident that happened at Kade, when the President spoke, the following day we heard that they had been arrested,” he noted.
Describing the attackers as “hooligans,” Awulley added, “You invade a school and attack teachers with clubs—no, no—they should have been arrested by now.”
GES Assures Action
Press Secretary to the Minister of Education, Hashmin Mohammed, confirmed that GES has initiated investigations and assured the public that perpetrators would face consequences once identified.
“In areas where all these issues have happened, both the PTA and the school have been engaging themselves to address it,” Mohammed said. “The Ghana Education Service, with the support of the Ministry, is working to facilitate investigations into the matter.”
He further stated, “The Ghana Education Service is on it, and when the investigations identify the real culprits, they will be dealt with.”
Proposal for Teacher Protection Fund
In response to what PRETAG describes as a growing trend of assaults on teachers, the union is proposing the establishment of a special fund or allowance to support educators who suffer attacks while performing their duties.
“We are proposing that a fund or an allowance could be set up,” Awulley said. “We now see the work of the teacher being endangered, so measures must be put in place.”
The Ministry indicated that it is open to considering the proposal as part of broader efforts to protect teachers and reinforce discipline within schools.
“The government may consider the proposal and going forward we will be engaging the teachers on that,” Mohammed said.
Pattern of School-Based Violence
The WASS incident follows last year’s Kade case, where students were arrested, prosecuted and fined after assaulting a teacher during examinations.
Education stakeholders say the outcome of the WASS investigation will be closely watched as authorities confront what many describe as a troubling rise in violence within Ghana’s pre-tertiary institutions.
The Ministry maintains that ensuring the safety of teachers remains a priority, as it works with GES and security agencies to restore confidence in school environments.
No Comment! Be the first one.